Tingewick is led by a group of 27 medical students at Oxford, called the Tingewick Firm. They do not only work together to raise money, but also complete all their clinical placements together. Throughout the year, they put on a variety of events for the other medical students, as well as for the general public - all with the aim of raising money for the two charities, which are chosen at the beginning of each year. This year, all our proceeds will be split between The Oxford Hospitals Charity and SeeSaw Oxfordshire. The events culminate in the annual Tingewick pantomime, which will be put on for the 81st time in November 2020. Written, directed, and staged by Tingewick Firm, the pantomime is fully cast from 1st year clinical medical students. Each year, over 1400 doctors, nurses, and other spectators come to witness an outrageous evening. Once the dust has settled and the donations have been tallied, the entire Pantomime cast will vote on the new Producer, Director and Treasurer, lovingly termed 'The Big Three', who then appoint next year's Tingewick Firm.
The late Radcliffe Infirmary, located in central Oxford, always had a Christmas show put on by nurses, consisting of several polite items under the auspices of the Matron. In the Christmas of 1938, under the leadership of Dr. McQuaide, a new show was produced. The first half was a traditional concert by the nurses, while the second half showcased two short pantomimes by the doctors - 'Cinderella', an amusing professionally written piece, and 'Virgins Vindicated', a brief old-fashioned melodrama with title of high moral tone. During 1939, a clinical school was founded at Oxford, but it wasn't until 1940 that the medical students put on their first performance. 'Dick Whittington and his Dog' was performed by the 'Radcliffe Raspberries', and at the dinner after the show, the emblem of the society - a pink elephant - was conceived. However, in case the 'Radcliffe Raspberries' with their pink elephant mascot gave off the wrong impression, Dr. Robb-Smith - the first senior member of the society - suggested that the name of the society be changed to the Tynchwycke Society, in memory of Nicholas Tynchwycke, who was the first teacher of medicine in Oxford and physician to Edward I, around 1300. Most importantly, though, he rented a pub from the university which was used by physicians for over 400 years. Over the years 'Tynchwyke' morphed into 'Tingewick', and the emblem of the society is now lovingly known as 'Rita'. The society even has a large eponymously named hall and foyer at the new John Radcliffe Hospital site, where the pantomime is now held.